Meatball Pizza Subs
Inspiration: Home Cooking Memories
6-8 Portuguese Buns
375ml Pizza Sauce
1 lg Egg
1 Wh. Onion
1 pouch Onion Soup Mix (Dry)
1 cup Crushed Crackers
Seasonings; Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Seasoning Salt.
• Preheat oven to 400 C
• Take Onion and chop it up very finely, or puree it. (I choose to puree it, it ended up being super fast and easy)
• Combine Hamburger, Egg, Crackers, Onion, Onion Soup Mix, and Seasonings; Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Seasoning Salt. Mix together.
*Make sure you finely crush your crackers (or whatever substitute you choose) down nicely, a food processor works wonders.*
• Roll mixture into balls, (roughly the size of golf balls- maybe a little less) try to keep them all the same size. Put them in a glass pan, leaving room around each one. (I cooked 9 at a time).
• Cook in oven for 18-22 minutes, or until no pink is in the middle. Remove from glass pan, and place on a plate.
• Repeat last two steps until all is rolled and cooked.
• Preheat oven to 450 C
• Cut open Portuguese Buns, then place a slice of mozzarella cheese on one, or both sides of the buns, put three meatballs in each bun, pour pizza sauce all over meatballs and cheese, grate more mozzarella cheese on top of sauce. Place in glass pan.
• Cook Subs for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted, pizza sauce is warmed, and bread is lightly toasted. Take out. Let cool.
MenuDuet’s Notes: In the picture displayed;
-Use any type of cracker you have in your house /or instead of crackers you can also use; Bread Crumbs, Chips, Corn Flakes, etc…
-Make your meatballs however you like, with whatever type of meat you like.
-We used a red onion, because that’s what we had in the fridge; but normally we would use a white onion.
-Feel free to use more/or less pizza sauce/or cheese- do it to your liking.
-Thinking Parmesan Cheese would be good sprinkled on top.
I saw a post on Pinterest for Meatball Sandwiches, and I thought, “Do you know what would be good…” after that, the rest was.., well, dinner.
Really simple dinner, that is quite filling. I was shocked when my partner had to take a break after just one. (Though that didn’t last long, and he went for a second one soon after.) Great to take for lunch.
A bit tough to eat for kids – my two year old tried but it was very big, though he did enjoy the meatballs, rolled in cheese, covered in pizza sauce, with a yummy bread plate.
(He opened the sub up, and ate what he wanted out of the middle of the bread. Haha)
Let us know what you think in the comments, and follow us on Facebook at ‘Menu Duet’
I took the picture displayed, with my camera.