Split Pea and Ham Soup (Slow Cooker)
Credit: From Valerie’s Kitchen
1 Meaty Ham Bone
1/2-1 cup Ham, Small (opt.)
2 cups Split Peas
1 cup Celery, Small Ribs
1 cup Carrots, Small
1/2 cup White Onion, Small
1/3 cup Italian (Flat Leaf) Parsley, Fresh
1 tbsp Thyme, Fresh
1 tbsp Garlic, Minced
6 cups Chicken Broth, Low-Sodium
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Salt
• Rinse the peas, and chop the Celery Sticks, Carrots, and White Onion, into small pieces. Place in your slow cooker pot.
• Next finely chop up the Parsley and Thyme, then add them to the slow cooker pot, then add in your Garlic-Minced, Salt, Pepper and Bay Leaf as well.
• Next take your Meaty Ham Bone, and give it a nice spot in the middle with everything surrounding it. This is where you can add in extra chopped up Ham if you like. SEE NOTES.
• Pour in 4-5 cups of the Chicken Broth. Just enough to cover your peas/veggies. (We did 5), save the remaining broth to add in later if needed.
• Put the lid on, and cook on HIGH for 7-8 hours. Stir throughout the day, and add the remaining chicken broth, little by little if you feel its needed.
• Let it cook until the peas have softened to your liking, and has a creamy consistency, rip the meat off the ham bone and add it to the soup.
• Salt & Pepper
MenuDuet’s Notes: In the picture displayed;
-We didn’t use a Bay Leaf.
-We added in an extra half a cup of chopped up Ham.
As soon as we started this within an hour you could smell the yummy-ness wafting throughout the house, our stomachs growled so much today waiting for the soup to be done, but it was well worth the wait. It didn’t make as much as we thought it would, but still very good.
The picture displayed shows the start of the cook, and then about 5 hours in. I forgot to take a final photo. Yikes.
Let us know what you think in the comments, and follow us on Facebook at ‘Menu Duet’
I took the picture displayed, with my phone camera.