Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Icing
Credit: Recipe By Photo
1.5lb lean ground Hamburger
1 Red Bell Pepper, Seeded
1 Green Jalapeno Pepper, Seeded
1 Red Onion, small
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
1 lg Egg
1 tbsp Worcester Sauce
1 tbsp Italiano Seasoning
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 cup Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Ketchup
2 tbsp Mustard
6-8 Potatoes, Peeled
2 tbsp Herb And Garlic Cream Cheese
Butter, & Milk (To mash potatoes)
Real Bacon Bits
• Dice the seeded Red Bell Pepper, Green Jalapeno, and Onion into small pieces, put in medium mixing bowl.
• Preheat the oven to 350 C. Spray a 12 muffin tin with non stick spray.
• In the same bowl, as the diced vegetables, combine the Hamburger, Garlic Cloves- Minced, Bread Crumbs, Egg, Worcester Sauce, Italiano Seasoning, Salt and Pepper. With your hands thoroughly mix all the ingredients together.
• Fill each muffin tin with mixture, till they are almost full, leave an inch of room at the top. Pat it down with a spoon. SEE NOTES.
• In a small mixing bowl, combine Tomato Sauce, Brown Sugar, Ketchup and Mustard. Stir well. Take a teaspoon and cover the tops of each meat cupcake with the sauce. Put as much on each as you desire. (You will most likely have extra sauce).
• Put the Meatloaf Cupcakes with the tomato sauce mixture on top, into the oven, and let cook for 40 minutes. (Until brown, and cooked through- no pink).
• WHILE the Meatloaf cupcakes are cooking, peel the potatoes, then make mashed potatoes on the stove top. When you get to the mashing part, and you are adding the Milk and Butter, also add the Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese.
• When the Meatloaf Cupcakes are done, pull them out of the oven, let them sit for 5 minutes in the pan. While they are sitting, put some mashed potatoes into a piping bag, and dice up some green onions.
• Take the Meatloaf cupcakes out of the muffin tins, and put them onto a plate. Pipe the mashed potatoes out on top of the meatloaf cupcakes.
• Add Real Bacon Bits, and diced Green Onions to the mashed potatoes.
MenuDuet’s Notes: In the picture displayed;
-No spice taste even with the Jalapeno, so don’t worry.
-You can make 12 meatballs if you want and stick them in the muffin tin holes instead of just filling it and patting it down.
-Let them sit for 5 minutes, because they will break in half easily if you don’t.
-I didn’t have a piping bag, so I used a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off.
-No muffin tin? Use a Meatloaf tin and spread the mashed potatoes on top before serving.
The ingredient list looks scary but it really isn’t that bad! Haha they aren’t the prettiest but they sure were tasty!
Mmm mmm mm! These were so darn delicious, I don’t think there were any leftover! Even our son was munching them down. The worst part is dicing the onion- in my opinion, but my partner would argue saying peeling potatoes is the worst.
Don’t worry about the Jalapeno, I can’t do spice, and it didn’t have a hint of it.
On the other hand, if you are looking for spice, try ditching the red pepper and adding an extra Jalapeno.
This recipe is not quick or easy, but it sure is good, we will definitely be making this again and again, it’s a combination of flavors that can’t be beat… well that is to argue I suppose. Apparently people put gravy on meatloaf, (I have never done this) so we were thinking about how good it would taste with some Beef Gravy shot right in the center of the meatloaf cupcake itself.
So Meatloaf Cupcakes with Beef Gravy Filling, and Mashed Potato Icing… but that’s for another day.
Let us know what you think in the comments, and follow us on Facebook at ‘Menu Duet’
I took the picture displayed, with my camera.