Credit: Happy Foods Tube
1 cup Water
1/3 cup Butter, Unsalted
2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
2/3 cup Flour
(Sugar & Cinnamon for topping)
• Combine the Water, Butter, Sugar, and Salt, in a medium saucepan, bring the mixture to a boil.
• When it is boiling, stir in the Flour, it will turn into a dough very fast, remove from heat once it is a dough. Set to the side.
• Let the dough cool down for a few minutes, the reasoning for this is you don’t want your eggs to scramble if the dough is still hot, when you add them in.
• Pour some oil into a frying pan and heat it up. We had our stove top on at about 5.
• When the dough is cooled a bit, add the Eggs in one at a time, stirring them into the dough. You will need to stir them in fast, so we recommend a hand mixture. (We used one, it made it very easy).
• Scoop the dough into a piping bag, with a bigger star shape tip at the end.
• Test the oil by putting a drop of dough into the oil, if it bubbles and starts frying right away it is hot enough.
• Grab a fork and some tongs, squeeze the dough out of the piping bag over top of the frying pan, once it is long enough, use the fork to cut off the dough at the tip. Only cook about 3-4 at a time, as they need room, and you will have to flip them. (We used the tongs to flip them as it was easier then using the fork).
• Once they are golden brown on each side, approx 2 minutes, pull them out and put them on a plate with paper towel. Dab the oil off and while they are still hot, put some Cinnamon Sugar on a plate (mixed together) and roll the Churros in it.
MenuDuet’s Notes: In the picture displayed;
-You can use a hand mixture when stirring in the eggs.
-If your Churros are cooking too fast (not cooking evenly) reduce the heat.
-Original Recipe, suggests dipping them in hot, melted, chocolate.
These were very easy to make, and the recipe makes a lot of them, even without the Cinnamon Sugar topping, the Churros are still very tasty. Even though it makes a lot, it still doesn’t seem like it takes very long, since they cook so fast in the oil.
We loved this, and our 3 year old couldn’t keep his hands off of them (even the ones without the cinnamon/sugar was tasty enough for him). They are light, crispy and fluffy tasting, and its hard not to go back for more.
We will definitely be making these again and again! We just couldn’t get enough!
Let us know what you think in the comments, and follow us on Facebook at ‘Menu Duet’
I took the picture displayed, with my camera.